Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lemon Mushroom Orzo with Cilantro.

I love reading recipes. I have shelves filled with cookbooks, some of which I purchased simply to read. Lately (I think it must be the cooler weather!), I've been reading a lot of risotto and orzo recipes and was inspired by a lemon and rosemary orzo posted at Eat Yourself Skinny.  This is my twist on a lemony orzo. There was great debate in the test kitchen about the add-ins, so I left them as optional. My preference is to add the pine nuts. One of my tasters preferred the original with no add-ins and the other went for both pine nuts and prosciutto!  Enjoy.

  • 1 1/2 c orzo
  • 1 T butter
  • 1 c chicken broth
  • 2 T lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 c water
  • 1 box sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp sea salt
  • 2 T cilantro, chopped
  • toasted pine nuts, optional
  • prosciutto crumbles
Saute orzo in butter for 5 minutes.  Stir almost constantly to avoid over-browning.  Add broth, lemon, water, mushrooms, and salt.  Simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and orzo is tender. Stir frequently to avoid sticking.  Stir in cilantro and, if adding, sprinkle pine nuts and prosciutto crumbs on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment