Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Easy Weeknight Pasta.

This was one of those nights when we got home late from swim practice and needed to eat. And when I say eat, I mostly mean inhale large quantities of food. On school nights, dinner is typically no earlier than 8:45PM, with two hungry swimmers ready to devour whatever crosses their plates.  When they start eating off my cutting board or snitching from the pan, I'm told, "the more I eat now, the less I eat later," which is true, but it makes recipe completion a challenge! This was a meal that I needed to put together quickly with what I had on hand. The result was a healthy pasta dish that was a good balance of flavor and texture. I do get lucky sometimes. And yes, they inhaled it all.

  • 1 box whole wheat spaghetti
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen lima beans (more is fine!)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 bunch green onions, sliced
  • 1 box cherry tomatoes, halved
  • a few fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • salt & pepper
  • balsamic vinegar
Cook spaghetti according to package directions. With 5 to 6 minutes remaining for pasta to cook, add lima beans and minced garlic to boiling pasta.  When pasta is cooked, drain in colander and return to pan.  Add onion & tomatoes and toss gently.  Serve in bowls, adding some chopped basil, a sprinkle of salt & pepper, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to each serving. Inhale.


No comments:

Post a Comment